Blog Control Panel
Sign in to start working on your Blog.
Blog Entry
Rate this Entry

California Cruising!

Posted 08-01-2016 at 08:21 PM by dabrams
I've driven all over the United States and California, where I live now, is still one of my favorite states for its sheer beauty and great automobile terrain. I live in San Francisco now and occasionally make the trip down to Los Angeles for business or to connect with friends. Once in Los Angeles, the traffic is worse than you've heard about with epic stretches of blacktop divvied into massive multi-lane highways and frequent stop-and-go traffic. So I'm clearly not much of an advocate for LA's motorways. The massive stretch of land between the two cities can be either a blur of razor straight mind-numbingly boring two lane highways - vis-a-vis US 5, or a mildly more tree-lined semi-coastal route via highway 101. Those with time on their hands, and a good supply of anti-nausea medication might consider taking US 1, the coastal route, through Mur Woods, and some of the most beautiful Pacific Northwest shoreline you will find. That route is amazingly gorgeous, but adds several hours of driving some very twisty roads to your travel time.

Anyway, on this trip I took 101 South for a spell and then decided to swing over to highway 5 to make some time and satisfy my curiosity about what the heck is between the two major routes! I decided on taking Rt. 198 between King City, CA on the 101 side and the Fresno area on the US 5 side and let me tell you, this is one of the best roads for a driving enthusiast I have stumbled up on in a long time! The speed limit is 55 the whole way with never ending variety in the turns. Since you are basically driving between two valleys, the altitude will creep up about two thousand feet with lots of dips and dives along the way. I found it almost impossible to actually go over the speed limit, and frequently found myself in 2nd gear accelerating out of a turn that really required a slow down to 25 mph or so. I also didn't see a rear bumper my whole way there or back. The road surface is fantastic with just enough undulation at points to work your suspension but smooth enough to confidently carve through the canyons. If you love driving and have some time on your hands, this might be the stretch of road you've been dreaming of.

See some photos I took along the way here: https://www.travelers411.com/forums/...p?albumid=1753
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1162.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	4  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	5  
Blog Comments
Total Comments: 0

Comments:

Post a Comment
Recent Blog Entries by dabrams
Sponsored Links

Advertise with Travelers411

Reach a targeted audience with a specific interest in travel. Graphic and Text banner ads available.

travelers411.com/store

Travelers411 Featured Content
Travelers411 Mini Sites
Featured Content

Visit the Travelers411 Directory for
Jamaica's Meet-the-People Program

Click here to visit the Travelers411 Directory for Jamaica's Meet-the-People Program

Experience authentic Jamaican living by meeting with Jamaicans of like interest in a social and personal setting.

Travelers411 - Travel PR Sidebar Widget

Travel PR from
Travelers411 Travel PR

Travelers411 Travel PR

Travel PR From: Travelers411 Travel PR. Click here to listen now.

Browse announcements or create an account to post and promote your own.

Travelers411 Mini Sites

Travel Deal for
Travelers411

Browse Travel Deals or login to submit your own.

Click here for details

Travelers411.com Navigation
Featured Directory:  Addergoole Titanic Society
Click here to visit the Travelers411 Directory for Addergoole Titanic Society

The Addergoole Titanic Society was originally established to commemorate 14 victims of the Titanic's sinking that hailed from Addergoole, Ireland. Today through research and preservation as well as public outreach the group promotes the st ...

The Travelers411 Family of Brands:   Travelers411.com     sAbrams.com     Travelingfeet.com     Jetset411.com

© 2021 Travelers411. All Rights Reserved. Travelers411 is a Registered Trademark. "Your Travel Community" TM. "Explore Your World" TM. Travelers411, all subpages and sub domains are protected by US Copyright law. We strive to respect the Copyrights of others. Please do not post material to this site for which you do not have proper permission from the copyright holder. To request use or report abuse please contact us.

Sponsored Links

Advertise with Travelers411

Reach a targeted audience with a specific interest in travel. Graphic and Text banner ads available.

travelers411.com/store